Archive for June, 2009
jfriedman June 16th, 2009
For those who are interested, here are links to some of what we’ve been reading in preparation for this trip.
1. From The New Yorker: “The Island in the Wind” — the article that led us to consider going to Samso.
2. From Journal of the Swedish Society of Anthropology and Geography, Karl Benediktson, “Scenophobia,” Geography and the Aesthetic Politics of Lanscape”
3. From The Atlantic: “Iceland’s Meltdown”
ttierney June 15th, 2009
ICELAND – Reykjavik
- Depart from Cleveland Hopkins Airport – 3: 53 p.m. to Philadelphia
- Depart from Philadelphia 6:15 p.m. to Boston
- Depart from Boston 9:30 p.m. to Reykjavik
- Arrive Reykjavik at 6:30 a.m.
- Domus Guesthouse (6 bed apartment/suite);
- Morning – Reykjavik city tour
- Double-decker bus tours of Reykjavik.
- Afternoon – Visit Culture House (sagas)
- Evening – Meet with Arni Finnsson Dinner at 6:30 p.m. (environmental activist) either in or near city
- Perspective on the politics of energy in Iceland, including the hydroelectric installation at Karahnjukar; popular attitudes about green energy, conservation, and environmentalism; how the current economic crisis is affecting environmental activities; etc.
- View Dreamlands film
- Breakfast with Lutheran pastor, Sigridur Gudmarsdottir
- Senior minister in a Lutheran church in Iceland as well and is active in public debates on the environment and human rights
- Research interests are in ecotheology, mysticism, feminist theology and poststructuralism, postcolonialism and queer studies
- Half day with Arnbjorn from Renewable Energy School — visit geothermal plant
- Leave for Skaftafell National Park early afternoon
- Evening – hike in Skaftafell National Park
- Late evening – drive to Hotel Hofn
ICELAND – Hofn
- Morning – Boat tour on glacial lagoon,
- Afternoon – hike in Skaftafell National Park
- Evening – return to Reykjavik, stay at Bed and Breakfast Keflavik Airport.
DENMARK – Copenhagen
- Depart Keflavik airport – 7:45 am
- Arrive Copenhagen – 12:45 p.m.
- CPH Apartments in Vesterbro (six beds); Westend 11
- Meet Martha Lewis, Henning Larsen Architects, Vesterbrogade 76
- Visit architectural show at Louisiana Museum of Modern Art – “Green Architecture for the Future”
DENMARK – Samsø
- Train – Copenhagen to Kalundborg
- Ferry — Kalundborg to Kolby Kas
- Åvej 17, Ballen Havn – 8305 Samsø Åvej 17 Ballen Havn – 8305 Samsøe
- Day long session at the Energy Academy on Samsø, with Jan Jantzen
- Tour Samsø on bikes, visit wind farms, and dairy farms.
DENMARK – return to Copenhagen
Wednesday 7/22 – Return to Copenhagen
- Ferry — Kolby Kas to Kalundborg 7:40 a.m.
- Train –Kalundborg to Copenhagen
- Zleep Airport Hotel
- Depart Copenhagen airport – 7:50 a.m. to Keflavik (Iceland)
- Depart Keflavik airport 10:30 a.m. to Kennedy (NYC)
- Depart Kennedy airport 5:05 p.m. to Cleveland
- Arrive Cleveland Hopkins airport at 7 p.m.
- Arrive Cleveland – 6:55 p.m.